Health Benefits of Wheatgrass
Wheatgrass is young, freshly sprouted leaves of the common wheat plant, Triticum aestivum. It is a superstar in the wellness world due to its high levels of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and nutrients. This superfood contains compounds that can be extremely healing to both the body and mind.
Wheatgrass is a complete source of protein and is extremely rich in vitamins and minerals including vitamins A, C, and E, as well as iron, magnesium, calcium, chlorophyll, and amino acids. Here is a short and sweet breakdown of how the body uses these vitamins and minerals.
• Vitamin A helps support healthy bones, vision, immune system, and reproduction.
• Vitamin C is an antioxidant and is important in growing and repairing body tissues.
• Vitamin E promotes healthy blood, brain, and skin, along with vision, reproduction.
• Iron grows and develops hemoglobin, a protein in red blood cells that carries oxygen from the lungs to all parts of the body, and myoglobin, a protein that provides oxygen to muscles.
• Magnesium plays a role in hundreds of functions in the body, notably improving muscle and nerve function, regulating blood pressure, and supporting the immune system.
• Calcium builds and maintains strong bones. It also helps the heart, muscles, and nerves function properly.
• Chlorophyll is what makes wheatgrass green! Wheatgrass is made up of 70% chlorophyll. It is a type of green plant pigment associated with a wide range of health benefits from promoting radiant skin, to improving energy levels, and supporting liver function.
• Amino acids are the building blocks of protein in the body. There are 17 amino acids in wheatgrass and 8 of them are essential (meaning the body cannot make it but must consume it from food). Each amino acid has a different role in contributing to overall health.
Wheatgrass can improve overall radiance and health in many ways. This green superfood may support the body in removing toxins, aiding in healthy digestion, and boosting brainpower. It also may reduce help lower cholesterol, regulate blood sugar, alleviate inflammation, lower blood pressure, and give the immune system a boost. On top of that, with the removal of toxins and healthy digestion, the body may have access to higher energy levels and skin may improve! Studies show that wheatgrass may even help kill off cancer cells! Let's dive a little deeper into a few of these benefits:
Removes Toxins The high levels of antioxidants found in wheatgrass support the body in its natural detoxification process. Antioxidants are compounds that fight free radicals to prevent cell damage and reduce oxidative stress.
Supports Digestion Wheatgrass supports a happy, healthy gut! It contains enzymes that help your body to break down food and absorb nutrients, thus reducing bloating, gas, and constipation.
Boosts Brain Power Wheatgrass goes further than supporting the physical body. It supports the mental body too! Its compounds support cognitive function and may increase alertness, focus, and productivity.
Wheatgrass can have a strong, earthy taste, however, there are multiple ways to consume it- something for everybody! In its juiced liquid form, wheatgrass can be taken as a shot and is often chased with a lemon wedge. Wheatgrass can be added to juices and smoothies in a liquid or powder form. Some opt for a supplement like our Activated Grass to get all the benefits of wheatgrass without having to taste it!
Next time you need to re-up on your multivitamins, consider using wheatgrass instead. Our bodies absorb vitamins and minerals from foods much more easily than they do from multivitamins. Does wheatgrass live up to its hype? Try it out every day for a month and feel it for yourself!